They Did it - Cait Edwards post

As some of you know...I recently made a statement to a site that seemed to take full credit for getting Duran Duran into the Rock Hall.  In that statement, I said that it was the band and their hard work that 'did it' and never at anytime have I personally taken credit for all the awareness DDTTRH raised on their behalf.

The phrase "They Did It" recently caught my eye in a post in the Duran-verse by Cait Edwards, who spoke on this very subject.  I wanted to share it here because the post was moving to me.  I got Cait's permission to share it...

From 11/20/2022

They did it.
They say that *we* did it, as fans, and they shared the honor with us. That was nice.
If it was up to the kind of critics who were brutal with them from the start, this never would've happened. Duran Duran were never treated like something authentic. They were too stylish, too fucking pretty, and success came way too fast. They couldn't be legit and no way could the music be any good. Plus, too many little girls liked them way, way too much. When they were profiled on VH1 Behind The Music for the first time, Nick summed it up by saying critics liked bands who were for boys, while Duran Duran was for boys and girls and anyone in between. They got it. And we got it too.— feeling proud at Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
Think about the fact that saying something is "for girls" is a dismissive insult. Think about being a girl and understanding that. Now, I think about how clear it was to me that it was all bullshit and it breaks my heart a little: I somehow learned that lesson way too young. But one of the things Duran Duran was for me from the start was an affirmation, and I was on this Cinderella ride for good.
I was never alone. All the boys and girls and everyone in between, all of us who were once some kind of proof that they had no credibility, stuck with them over the years as longevity slowly brought critical respect and surprising perspective. What do you know - the music was actually stellar, and always had been. When they finally made the hall of fame ballot this year it was obvious they had the best chance of making it in, especially if they won the fan vote. And if we all voted they would easily win it.
And we did. We did it.
They did it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DDAD 2024 ddworldwide CONTEST

Future Past - Rock Hall Fan Vote CONTEST!!!!

Duran Duran Appreciation Day 2019 PRIZE CONTEST!!!